Today’s competitive environment requires organizations to develop leaders who bring a wide variety of professional and personal experience to the marketplace. PLUS’s answer to that challenge is the Diversity Leadership & Mentoring Program (LAMP).
LAMP seeks to advance the careers of program participants, help PLUS develop motivated leaders to fuel organizational success, and enhance the effectiveness of the wider professional liability community.
During the one-year experience, participants receive group leadership training, pairing with a seasoned PLUS mentor, registration, travel, and lodging to the annual PLUS Conference and other select education programs, and access to up to three PLUS Curriculum study modules and three complimentary RPLU examinations.
See List of Past Participants and Program Testimonials
Goals and Benefits
Under the stewardship of the Diversity and Inclusion Committee, LAMP is designed to:
- Provide support, education, access and service opportunities in the professional liability industry to individuals from diverse and traditionally underrepresented groups and backgrounds
- Connect participants with coaching, volunteer leadership experiences, and assistance in their mentor search, to enhance their career development and expand their professional networks
- Encourage diverse candidates to assume leadership roles in PLUS and the professional liability insurance industry
- Develop a more diverse leadership pool for the professional liability insurance profession
- Demonstrate the long-term benefit of the program to participants, PLUS and the larger professional liability insurance profession
LAMP participants commit to membership in PLUS and receive:
- Registration, travel and lodging for the LAMP orientation session at the 2018 PLUS Conference, November 7-9, 2018, in San Diego, and the LAMP concluding session at the 2019 PLUS Conference, November 11-13, 2019, in Washington, D.C.
- Registration, travel and lodging for one additional PLUS education program as selected by the participant during the program (D&O Symposium, Healthcare and Medical PL Symposium, Cyber University, Cyber Symposium, PLUS University)
- Group leadership coaching via webinar
- Mentor pairing with a senior-level PLUS member who has agreed to serve as mentor for 12 months beginning in January of the program year
- Opportunities to network with PLUS senior staff and volunteer leadership
- Three complimentary PLUS Curriculum study modules during the program
- Three complimentary RPLU examinations within a year of completion of the program
To be eligible to participate in LAMP, candidates must be:
- A member of a racial/ethnic group that is traditionally underrepresented within PLUS membership or leadership, lesbian/gay/bisexual/transgender, or a person with a disability
- Currently employed in the professional liability insurance industry with a minimum of two years' experience
- A professional with a demonstrated career commitment and interest in volunteer leadership opportunities in PLUS and/or civic-community organizations
- Committed to fully engage in all LAMP benefits
While membership in PLUS is not a requirement for LAMP selection, preference is given to candidates who are PLUS members.
In order for LAMP participants to be successful and for LAMP to achieve its goals, each participant must:
- Join PLUS if not a member already
- Attend LAMP orientation and concluding sessions at the PLUS Conference as well as one additional PLUS educational event during the program
- Actively participate in LAMP group coaching sessions via webinar
- Assist PLUS in identifying your mentor preferences and be actively engaged with the selected mentor
- Submit program-related materials as requested
- Serve as an ambassador for LAMP (and PLUS) to your employer, colleagues and community
The application window for the 2020 LAMP Cohort will be March 1 - April 5, 2019, with all application materials due by Friday, April 5, 2019, at 5:00 pm EST. The application and supporting documents must contain all requested information attached to a single email and be received by the deadline. Late or incomplete applications will not be considered. Application materials include:
- Application Form signed
- Supervisor Agreement signed by supervisor
- Letter of Recommendation by applicant's supervisor or employer no specific format, although recommending party is strongly encouraged to write about how they know the applicant and why they think the applicant is a great candidate for the program
- Current Resume
- Personal Essay - 700 words or fewer about your interest in the program, community service/leadership experience, any unique circumstances you may have overcome, any other leadership programs in which you have participated, and what you intend to get out of LAMP.
- Recent Photo - professional headshot; 300 dpi or better; taken within past 12 months. Photo will only be used if applicant is selected.
Questions about LAMP?
Please contact Dan Jenney at firstname.lastname@example.org or 952.746.2590.